Sunday, October 29, 2006

My Sunday - bad and good news

BAD: I looked for a church but couldn't find it - I discovered that many churches no longer exist or are relocated. I'll keep trying. I set out to buy some things at a Navy facility in Belle Chasse. I went over to the other side of the Mississippi only to be told the facility was small and didn't offer much. Nothing was open at 9 in the morning. The gate guard suggested the other facility. I had heard about the Navy facility in Algiers, so I crossed the Mississippi and found my way there. I was told that it was small, too, and I needed to go across the Mississippi! "To Belle Chasse?" "No, to the Naval Support Facility." The guard told me precise directions, so I launched out again. Well, what should be happening at that time but an NFL football game at the Superdome with the Saints. Our hotel is right by the Superdome, and so I was caught in traffic for maybe an extra half hour. O well, nothing better to do. GOOD: I finally arrived at the THIRD Naval facility and it had a great Navy Exchange department store and a commissary grocery store - for snacks and stuff. So I had a good time shopping and picked up some Chinese food and fried chicken (frozen dinners) for weekends. Why frozen dinners instead of crawfish and jambalaya? Been there; done that. Expensive to eat out, and it's peaceful and quiet in my room, with a fully equipped kitchen. I'm trying to save money for when my Honey joins me Nov. 18.

No comments: