Saturday, October 21, 2006

What actually happened

I got to the airport early, but the drop-off was under construction, and so the shuttle dropped me off in an employee area with a tall escalator about 4 stories high. I was wrestling with my 3 bags and stood at the bottom of the escalator while airport employees were sitting around. I tried putting the bags on the escalator, but somehow they got twisted and tangled with each other and with me. The movement of the escalator caught me and the two lighter bags and threw me onto my butt and me going feet first up the escalator. I tried grabbing the biggest bag and dragging it with me, but it was too heavy.

It must have made a ruckus, because a couple employees started running toward the escalator. One ran up and grabbed me to pull me up, but I was too heavy for the skinny guy and he was going against gravity. Finally I reached up and grabbed the two railings and pulled myself up. Another employee sent the rest of my luggage to the top. Whew!

The plane dodged thunderstorms enroute and we had bumpy times in the skies. A couple old folks' teeth were floating, but the flight attendance kept chasing them back to their seats because of the turbulance. My Diet Coke spilled with the force of the bumps.

The plane went into a holding pattern in Louisiana and I was about 30 minutes late landing. I got my rental SUV, compliments of Uncle Sam, and declined the GPS because I'd have to pay $45 a week out of my own pocket. I can buy my own for less than that.

Here's a picture of the Chevy Equinox:


Equinox LS

No comments: